Dear Mom,
I am doing pretty well I actually didnt know that his father had passed away, thank you for telling me though. I am glad to hear about Codys baptism, I only wish I could have been there as well. Yes, I will take notes for conference, probably, I dont have to but we will see, Usually I can only take notes for so long, and alot of times if I take notes I am not paying attention and miss things.
This week I had my first baptism, We actually had 2 but I got to perform the Baptism, So it was a really cool experience, but I was nervous as well, I had never done it in English so I wasnt really sure how to do it in Spanish, But I figured it out and everything went well. It was an 11 year old girl from a convert family, haha, I had to do it twice because she was really nervous as well, and forgot to bend her knees when she went down so I couldnt get her all the way under the water, the other Baptism was a 17 year old girl. In this next month we should have 3 more baptisms, we have 2 that are set for sure and then another who has been setting dates for a while now, but he keeps having problems with coffee, so I am not sure how that will turn out. We also have a family of five that we just started teaching, who seem really positive and we set a baptism date for the 29th of October, So hopefully all will go well there and we will keep teaching and baptizing.
As far as lessons this week, Not many of them were very interesting, but there was one that was a bit frustrating. We were teaching a Catholic family that we had contacted and spoken to a little bit before, one of the daughters is kind of like a ward missionary I guess, and she was there the first time, but this time she wasnt. Anyways, we were teaching about baptisms, And we asked the mother if she thought that Children had sins when they were born, She said she didnt believe in the Original sin, But then went on to explain that if there is time between the birth and being baptized, the child is sinning. I am not really sure why they think that but Basically my reply was to ask them if they thought Jesus had been sinning for the first 30 years of his life. They werent really sure how to answer that and tried to change the subject, But then my companion starts to fill in for me, and mentions that He has never read a scripture in the bible that says we should baptize little children, which I agree with, I have never seen it, And then the Daughter who is kind of like a missionary comes bursting through a door with her bible, haha, it turned out she had been there the whole time just listening, and I am assuming waiting for something like this. Anyways she told us that she had a scripture that mentioned it, My immediate thought was that it was something from the Apocrypha, but it was something in Matthew, in the very end when he is finishing his epistle, the very last chapter and second to last verse, it says something along the lines of, baptize all nations. So she tells us that sometimes you have to look at Scriptures and take them out of the context, and that when it says all, it means all, including little children. Which I think is taking things a little far, but you cant really say that to an investigator. The last verse right after that tells us that you have to teach the people the gospel when they are baptized, and make sure that they are willing to maintain a worthy life, we read that, asked them what they thought, and once again they kind of avoided answering. We started to end and invited them to pray about it, and then left, I think we are planning on going back sometime soon but I dont know what will happen there. I thought you might enjoy hearing the story though, it was certainly one of the more interesting lessons I have been in though.
Something I found out though, My zone leaders told me that I am not allowed to have an Ipod that has a screen, I guess that is a rule of our president because the calling book says that we can as long as it only plays audio, but in any case I have to obey it. So I dont know if there is a way that maybe you could send me a different mp3 player that doesnt have a screen, maybe one of the ipod shuffles, I also found out that I can get a set of speakers that plays off of a usb for about 7 dollars, and I think that the newer Ipod shuffles use USB, so that might be perfect. But if you cant then I understand, Thank you for all that you are doing for me at home. It really means alot to me and I know I dont say it often but I mean it. I dont know if you and dad talked about a way you might be able to get me money so that I could buy whey protein here, but that is something that would help me alot, The food here isnt that bad, but the stuff I miss are the things you cant really send me like ravioli and such, so Things like protein that I can get here would make a difference. But once again, Please dont feel like you have to. I love you a ton mom and I hope that my emails are getting better, I am not a really good writer so It is something I am trying to work on, I love you and miss you all a ton, tell everyone I love them!
Love
Christopher
No comments:
Post a Comment